Download a free PDF version of the PB3 plate.
The PB3 plate has three main components:
- Fruits and Vegetables (F/V)
- Legumes, Nuts and Seeds (L/N/S)
- Grains and Starches (G/S)
Unlike other plate models, these three components each take up 1/3 of the plate. Why don’t we dedicate 1/2 of the plate to produce like the other models? Because of calorie density.
While we want children to eat plenty of F/V, we don’t want them to fill up so much that they don’t have room for more high-calorie, nutrient-rich items from the other categories.
In addition to the core “3” we also call out nutrients of importance from each category.
- Vitamin-C rich foods in F/V to help with iron absorption
- Calcium-rich foods in both the F/V and L/N/S section
- Omega-3 ALA-rich foods in L/N/S
- Iron in all three categories.
- Fat is in the middle because it can be found in all three categories and easily added to these foods during cooking.
- On the side, we have optional supplements that are often necessary in plant-based diets; B12 is a must if your child is vegan and not getting B12 through fortified foods, like soy milk.
- Soy milk on the side as an easy source of protein, fat and micronutrients.
**This content is owned by Plant-Based Juniors™. You are welcome to share the plate, but all credit and tagging must be given to Plant-Based Juniors™.