Pear grilled “cheeze” sandwiches. Here’s an easy recipe using pears and cashew cheese to make a traditional kid favorite!
Everybody loves a good grilled cheese.
While we’re all for carrying on the classics (especially when they’ve been veganized!), we also really enjoy creating our own new versions of old favorites in our kitchens.
And luckily, we have some pretty zealous little taste testers to make sure our recipes are fit for sharing with you!
This one is a healthy plant-based grilled cheese, using pear slices and a zesty cashew cheese made with white miso paste.
Miso is a paste made from soybeans. It has a distinct salty umami flavor and is frequently used in Japanese cooking, especially in dishes like miso soup.
Miso is a fermented food, which means it’s a great source of probiotics, or good bacteria for your gut microbiome.
We like adding miso to things like soups, sauces, and dressings. It gives this cashew “cheeze” a great flavor, too!
To make the sandwiches, you’ll start by spreading one side of each piece of bread with olive oil (one of our favorite healthy fats) or a vegan butter of your choice.
Using a food processor or high speed blender, make the cashew “cheeze”.
You’ll then assemble the sandwiches by spreading the “cheeze” onto the non-oiled side of the bread, top with pear slices, and close.
These can be made using a panini press or skillet to cook.
See the full recipe below!
Pear Grilled “Cheeze” Sandwiches
- 1 pear, sliced
- 8 slices bread
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or vegan butter
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 8-12 hours or flash-soaked*
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp white miso paste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup + 1-2 Tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- Brush olive oil on one side of each slice of bread.
- Blend drained cashews, garlic, lemon juice, miso paste, 1/4 cup water, and salt (optional) in a high-powdered blender or food processor until smooth, 1-2 minutes. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides with a spatula. If it is too thick to blend, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture is thick and smooth, but not watery.
- Spread cheese on each slice of bread, on the side without oil.
- Sandwich pear slices between two slices of bread, cheese side inward.
- Lightly oil a cast-iron pan, skillet, or panini press and grill sandwiches for about 2-3 minutes per side, until bread is golden brown and cheese is warm and melty.
Pear grilled “cheeze” sandwiches. Try this easy recipe using pears and cashew cheese to make a traditional kid favorite that the whole family will enjoy.
Chime In: What’s your favorite vegan take on a traditional recipe, and what are some you’d like to see us make? Have you ever made cashew cheeze?
If you liked this post, check out some of our others:
Thank you for this! My 18 month old loved it and so did I!