This easy, vegan mac n’ cheese is ready in just 10 minutes thanks to a pre-made cheddar “cheese” powder!
It’s back to school time, and although our boys are too young for pencils and backpacks, we can sympathize with the food-related struggles many plant-based parents have at school.
Namely, how to make sure your kids don’t feel alienated when others are indulging in typical animal-product-heavy kid-food. You know, chicken nuggets, pizza, mac n’ cheese, and such.
No kid wants to feel like the odd man out, and you certainly don’t want them to feel like they’re being restricted.
Our answer – make delicious, plant-based versions of the classics!
Of course, we also know that most parents don’t have hours after work to spend whipping up elaborate cashew cheese sauces from scratch.
Enter the premade mac n’ cheese mix. This simple blend takes about 2 minutes to blitz together in a blender and then lasts for up to six months in the fridge.
Then when your babes are longing for cheesy pasta for dinner like their omnivorous friends at school, you can throw together a nutritious meal in less than 10 minutes using your mix!
We like to serve ours with Tolerant Organic Green Lentil Elbows for a well-balanced, plant-protein rich meal. Tolerant pasta has the look, taste, and feel of traditional pasta but is packed with important nutrients that plant-based kids need, like iron and protein.
We especially love this pasta for younger plant-based kids, since with smaller appetites you want to make sure every bite counts, and lentil pasta is perfect for that!
This recipe is a favorite of both our boys and our husbands – #kidapproved #manchildapproved – making for a delicious weeknight family dinner and an easy, packable lunch.
Here’s the recipe!
10 Minute Vegan Mac N’ Cheese
For Mac N' Cheese Mix:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour or oat flour
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp powdered mustard
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
For the Mac N' Cheese:
- 1 box Tolerant Organic Green Lentil Elbows
- 1 cup Mac N' Cheese Mix
- 1 Tbsp miso paste
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened plant-based milk
- Add all mix ingredients to the base of a food processor or high-powered blender and pulse until well mixed.*
- Cook elbows according to package, then drain.
- Blend 1 cup of dry mix with non-dairy milk, butter, and miso paste.
- Add to pot with cooked noodles and simmer for 2-3 minutes until sauce thickens.
Let us know if you try the recipe!
Weigh in: What food-related struggles have you faced with your plant-based kid at school?