Dirt cake recipe for kids. If you need a perfect layered cookie cake for a celebration, here’s one of our favorite vegan birthday cake recipes.
We know we promised this recipe like a month ago – sorry for the delay!
I made this dirt cake for Caleb’s 3rd birthday. He loved it so much that we wanted to make sure you had the recipe, too.
He loves dump trucks, but he also loves Curious George. So naturally, we made the whole party a “Curious George and the Dump Truck” theme.
We even had a dump truck piñata filled with bubbles, stickers, and Skout Bars (one of our favorite PBJ snacks).
And the dirt cake was served with shovel-shaped spoons. A little boy’s dream!
How to make it
Let me just say that this cake – whether you’re a 3 year old boy or a 36 year old woman- is YUM.
Plus, it’s super easy. This cake is a delicious filling alternated with layers of crushed Oreos. The main filling ingredients are chocolate, peanut butter, and silken tofu.
Tofu – you heard that right! Not only does tofu offer some great nutrients for littles, it’s also super creamy and neutral-flavored to help everything come together.
First, you’re going to melt together coconut oil and chocolate chips until well-blended. You can do this in the microwave, in 30 second increments, or in a small saucepan on the stove over low-medium heat.
Let your coconut oil and chocolate mixture cool a little bit, and then add it to a blender or food processor with the remaining pie ingredients. It should be very smooth.
This includes peanut butter, vanilla, almond milk, and cinnamon.
In a large bowl, alternate layers of your chocolate filling with crushed up Oreos (or similar cookies). Mine ended up with three layers of filling with two layers of cookies in between.
Place your dirt cake in the fridge for a few hours to solidify a little.
Serve with a scoop, or maybe an excavator!
Find the full printable recipe below.
- Blender or food processor
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 12 oz silken tofu
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups crushed Oreo cookies
- In the microwave, melt together the chocolate chips and coconut oil until chocolate is smooth. Do this in 30 second increments. Let your mixture cool slightly.
- Add all of your cake filling ingredients to a blender or food processor and puree until very smooth. This includes your silk tofu, melted chocolate, peanut butter, almond milk, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl or serving pot, alternate layers of cake filling with crushed cookies until all of your ingredients are used up.
- Add decor of choice to the top of your cake and place in the fridge for a few hours to solidify a little.
We think you’ll love this dirt cake recipe for kids for your next celebration! It’s a perfect layered cookie cake to add to your list of go-to vegan birthday cake recipes.
Weigh in: Have you made a recipe like this before? What’s your favorite birthday recipe for kids?
If you liked this recipe, we think you should give these a try too: