Vegan tomato lentil soup! Here’s a kid-friendly lentil recipe for the whole family that’s easy to make, healthy, and plant-based.
As the seasons change, so do the recipes on rotation in our homes.
So naturally, when it’s cooler outside, we tend to gravitate toward warm recipes that can also be reused in batch cooking or heated up quickly for leftovers.
This is our Tomato Lentil Soup recipe, which uses just five main ingredients and a handful of palate-pleasing spices.
Even our kids have enjoyed this soup, both by the spoon or by dipping in some chunky bread or grilled “cheeze” sandwiches served on the side.
Here’s how to make it!
First, heat your olive oil (or another plant-based oil of your choice) in a large skillet over medium heat.
Dice some onion and bell pepper and saute these in your skillet until they become softened and fragrant. This usually only takes a minute or less. Sometimes we’ll add a little minced garlic in here too.
Next, you’re going to add in a can of crushed tomatoes and let your ingredients simmer together for a few minutes.
Then, add in your lentils, salt, water, and coconut milk.
Cook everything, stirring gently, over medium-low heat. Let your soup cook and meld together until the lentils are thoroughly heated and the soup is thickened.
This usually takes around 25-30 minutes.
Once your soup is done, serve in bowls and let cool a little before presenting to your babes.
Find the full, printable recipe for Tomato Lentil Soup below.
Tomato Lentil Soup
- Large skillet
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, dry
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk, light or regular full-fat
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until tender. .
- Add in the spices and cook until fragrant, just 30 seconds
- Add in the crushed tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes, then add in the lentils, salt, water and coconut milk. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until lentils are cooked through and soup is thickened, about 25 minutes.
- Serve alongside toast strips or grilled cheeze!
We think you’ll love this vegan tomato lentil soup! Add it to your kid-friendly lentil recipes and put it on rotation this fall and winter.
Chime In: Do you prepare lentils often in your home?
If you liked this post, we think you’ll also enjoy these others: